Ramie leaves rice cake (Mosi-nib tteok) - non-spicy and vegan Korean food recommendation

I was not sure if I could write about Korean ramie leaves rice cake I made today, as my initial aim of this blog was more like introducing new places and uncommon stories about Seoul and South Korea.

I did not want my blog to be covered with food. 
Most of all, I'm not foodie so not much knowledge on it and there are plenty of well-written articles about Korean food.

But, this time I have decided to write an article about ramie leaves rice cake, since it seems this rice cake is not that widely known among non-Korean people. Besides it can be informative to those who are looking for non-spicy Korean food, which is also healthy vegan food.



So, I'm going to tell you about "ramie leaves rice cake" which is called "Mosi-nib tteok"!

Ramie leaves rice cake



We made “ramie leaves rice cake” today and I’m eating it now.😋 I have grown up watching my grandmother making all different kinds of rice cake at home. Rice cake (tteok) is one of my family’s favorite snacks, especially this “ramie leaves rice cake”. It is probably because my grandparents’ hometown is where ramie grows a lot in South Korea, which is Jeolla province (전라도, Southwest of Korean peninsula)

Steaming rice cake


But every time I eat ramie leaves rice cake, I become so curious about how ramie can turn into cloth and rice cake.😂 Because traditionally we have made clothes out of ramie to cope with the heat in summer. I asked my mum and it turned out different parts of ramie are used for different uses. 

(If you are interested in how to make ramie cloth and weaving, here is the Youtube video produced by Cultural Heritage Administration of Korea. https://youtu.be/AUpXye1YjsY )


Brief recipe 

You can make dough with rice flour, water and boiled ramie leaves. Make a palm-sized circle with dough (it should be thick enough unlike dumplings) and spread it so that you can put fillings - we made two kinds of fillings, 1) sesame seeds with sugar and 2) beans. Once you put the fillings in the middle, fold it and make a half-moon shape. 

Put them in a big pot for steaming. Cook well until they are cooked well. :D

Ramie leaves rice cake with sesame seeds + sugar filling


Ramie leaves rice cake with the bean filling

Healthy vegan snack


Ramie leaves rice cake is not only tasty but also good for health; it contains plenty of rutin (helps protect blood vessels) flavonoid. Ramie is also good for losing weight as it is high in fiber and inhibits absorption of fat.

If you look for a vegan or plant-based diet in South Korea, it would be the right one for you!


You can buy ramie leaves rice cake or other kind of rice cake at supermarkets or traditional markets. :)




Comments