What to do in Seoul in winter : Memories of winter with snow



Winter in Seoul is freezing cold. 

The temperature goes down below freezing. When it is windy, it gets worse. Every winter in Korea at least one new item comes out as a way of beating the bitter cold. Did you notice what it was in recent years? You might be able to shout the answer easily if you were in South Korea. The answer is a long puffer jacket! (we call this "long padding". I don't know why but we call a puffer jacket "padding"-Konglish)


Since I don't like jumping on the bandwagon, I didn't buy a long puffer jacket. Instead, I stay at home sitting on the electric pad and eating hot sweet hodduk ν˜Έλ–‘, which is my favorite Korean winter snack.


What did I do in the winter when I was little? It was definitely cold too, but I don't have any memories staying at home. I used to be out, especially on a snowy day. I would make a snowman even if it melts away next day. Although my hands were frozen, I could not help having a snowball fight with friends. When adults stepped cautiously on an icy street, I rather ran on it with my dog like sledding.


Looking back on my childhood, there were full of things to enjoy winter, and it seems I already knew how to enjoy it.


So, I went out to enjoy the winter before it ends. I headed to the center of Seoul, Gyeongbokgung area 경볡ꢁ, where you can see a beautiful scenery when it's snowing.



Gyeongbokgung in winter with snow
Gyeongbokgung in winter with snow


Gyeongbokgung in winter with snow
Gyeongbokgung in winter with snow

Honestly among Korean people, Gyeongbokgung area is not that attractive area. We find this area boring. I used to think the same before I realized how beautiful place it is. I might take you this area if you ask me to take around Seoul, not in the palace, but the neighborhood of the palace which is an unknown secret place.πŸ˜‰

Seoul on a snowy day
Seoul on a snowy day
Seoul on a snowy day
Seoul on a snowy day

 If the weather is nice you should go up to the mountain behind the palace. You can see not only the city wall which was built in the Joseon Dynasty but also views where the past and the present exist in the same frame. Most of all there is a long path along side the wall which is a nice walk to enjoy authentic Seoul.


Seoul, the past and the present

If you want to experience something more city-like activity, Voila! There is a place for ice skating right in front of the Seoul city hall. It is only 1,000won per hour! (slightly cheaper than 1 US dollar) 

It reminds me of my childhood memory in winter. I and my cousins used to ice skate on the ice that was actually rice field and used as an outdoor ice rink during the winter. 


Ice skating in Seoul
Ice skating in Seoul

Having good memories about something could mean that it is worth a try. It is true that winter in South Korea is cold (sometimes extremely), but don't miss the hidden gems that will make your time in Seoul unforgettable.

If you have plans to visit South Korea in winter, hope you will have such a good memory about winter like my childhood memories with snow, cold and full of happiness.




Thank you for dropping by my blog. 

Feel free to leave a comment below if you have a question.

Please subscribe me if want more stories delivered every week. πŸ˜‰

Comments

  1. Awwwww I love it. It reminds me of my one and unique winter in korea. Even if it was cold I was definitely willing to go out and find out how amazing Seoul and the environments are during winter.
    Great article I really enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Hope we can meet again in Seoul in the near future! 😍

      Delete

Post a Comment